Atlanta Metro Area (AMA) Sewer Issues
Many residences and businesses in the Atlanta Metropolitan region, and particularly in Canton (GA), frequently experience sewer issues. They could destroy property, release offensive odours, put people at risk for wellness problems, or contaminate the environment. In the following article, we’ll outline the primary reasons for sewage problems.
Why are they dangerous to human health? And why do you need professional help to fix them?!
What Produces Sewer Problems?
- Tree roots growing into the sewer pipes and causing blockages or cracks
- Grease, food scraps, wipes, and other items that are flushed or poured down the drains and create clogs
- Ageing, corroded, or damaged pipes that leak or collapse
- Heavy rainfalls or floods that overwhelm the sewer system and cause backups or overflows
- Improper installation or maintenance of sewer pipes or vents
Some of the signs that may indicate you have a sewer emergency are:
- Slow or gurgling drains
- Sewage backups
- Foul smells coming from the drains or sewer vents
- Wet or soggy spots in your yard or basement
- Mould growth or water stains on your walls or ceilings
- Rodent or insect invasion
If you notice any of these signs, you should contact a professional sewer plumber ASAP to inspect and repair your sewer line.
Why Are Sewer Emergencies Dangerous to Human Health?
Sewer issues are not only unpleasant but also dangerous to human health. Sewage contains harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, and chemicals that can cause various diseases and infections, like:
- Hepatitis A
- Escherichia coli
Exposure to sewage can occur through direct contact with contaminated water or surfaces, inhalation of sewer gas, ingestion of contaminated food or water, or skin contact with cuts or wounds.
Sewage exposure can be especially dangerous for children, and people with weakened immune systems. If you suspect that you or someone in your household has been exposed to sewage water or drain, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Why Do You Need Professional Help for Sewer Issues?
Sewer issues are not something that you can repair by yourself. DIY methods are not applicable in cases with sewer emergencies. They are contraindicated. You need professional help from a certified and experienced sewer plumber. You need a licenced plumbing company that can provide the following services:
- Sewer and Drain Camera Inspection: This is a non-invasive method of inspecting the condition of your sewer pipes using a high-resolution camera attached to a flexible cable. The camera can detect any cracks, leaks, blockages, or other problems in your sewer line and pinpoint their exact location and severity.
- Sewer Line Repair & Replacement: Depending on the extent of the damage, your sewer plumber may recommend repairing or replacing your sewer line. Repair methods may include pipelining, pipe bursting, or spot repair. Replacement methods may involve trenchless or traditional excavation techniques.
How to Prevent Sewer Emergencies?
Sewer problems can be costly and disruptive to deal with. Therefore, it is better to prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some tips on how to prevent sewer issues in the future:
- Avoid flushing or pouring anything down the drains that can cause clogs. Such as: grease, oil, food scraps, wipes, paper towels, diapers, sanitary products, hair, dental floss, etc.
- Use drain screens or strainers to catch any solid items that may enter the drains.
- Dispose of any hazardous materials properly, not down the drain. These include paints, solvents, pesticides, medications, etc.
- Keep tree roots away from your sewer pipes by planting trees at a safe distance from your property line or by using root barriers or chemical treatments.
- Schedule regular sewer inspections and maintenance by a professional sewer plumber to detect and fix any potential problems before they become worse.
- Install a backwater valve or a sump pump to prevent sewer backups or overflows in cases of heavy rainfall or floods.
Climate Change and Sewer Issues
Climate change is a global phenomenon that affects everyone, including the residents of Georgia. This can increase the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, such as storms, floods, droughts, and heat waves. Which can have negative impacts on the sewer system and cause more sewer issues in the future.
For example, storms and floods can overpower the sewer system and cause sewage overflows or backups into homes, businesses, streets, or waterways. This can pose health risks to people and animals. As well as environmental damage to ecosystems and water quality.
Droughts and heat waves can reduce the supply of water and increase the demand for it. This can affect the functioning of the sewer structures and cause sewage to become more concentrated and corrosive. This can damage the sewer pipes and cause leaks or cracks.
Global warming also affects the sea level, which is rising due to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets. Rising sea levels can increase the risk of coastal flooding and saltwater intrusion into the sewer system. This can affect the performance of the sewer system and cause corrosion or clogging of the pipes.
Therefore, it is important to adapt to climate change and its impacts on the plumbing & sewer systems.
Adaptation measures that can help you:
🠦 Improving the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the sewer system to make it more resilient to extreme weather events
✩ Implementing green infrastructure solutions, such as rain gardens, permeable pavements, green roofs, etc., to reduce stormwater runoff and improve water quality
🟊 Promoting water conservation and efficiency practises to reduce water demand and pressure on the sewer system
🟊 Enhancing emergency preparedness and response plans to deal with sewer issues in case of disasters
✩ Educating and engaging the public on climate change and sewer issues and encouraging them to take actions to reduce their environmental footprint.
Climate change is a reality that we cannot ignore. It affects our lives in many ways, including our sewer system. That is why we need to take action now to mitigate its effects and adapt to its challenges. By doing so, we can protect our health, safety, environment, and quality of life.
Sewer issues are a serious matter that can affect your health, safety, and comfort. If you live in Canton, Georgia, or the surrounding Atlanta metro area, you need a trusted and reputable sewer plumbing company that can provide you with high-quality and affordable sewer line services. Metroplumbingdrains.com is the solution you need.